Wednesday 14 August 2013

Balinese wellbeing - "eat, pray,love" way

Art by Ayung Resort, Ubud.
 

Bali is considered to be a world leader in spas and wellness. I had the opportunity to visit this magical island during May 2013. The month of May brings the islanders to the end of the wet season when the coulds scurry across the skies, the wind is little fresher and the rice in the fields is being harvested. A perfect time to visit.




Mandara Spa Villas

 


NUSA DUA AREA


My trip started at Nusa Dua area in Nikko Resort and Spa , which is set in a unique area overlooking the sea from a 40 meters high cliff edge. As I was participating a congress, I did not have that many opportunites to enjoy the many services they offered, but did take the time to sample their Mandara Spa once. The spa itself is down by the beach and offers a wide range of Balinese massages and body treatments that can be enjoyed in one of eight well-appointed Balinese spa villas or at the beach-side bale. The girl at the reception was very polite. The treatment in one of the villas was very pleasant and relaxing. I can really recommend a visit at this resort and the spa. 




UBUD AREA

After the busy congress it was time to travel uphill to an area called "Ubud". If you ever saw the movie by Julia Roberts "Eat, Love and Pray", you know the place. Rice paddies, lush and green forests, narrow roads, people, cars, animals - all in a peacefull harmony. In the middle of all this I found an oasis for body and soul. It is called the Ayung Resort.


Entrance to one of Bali's best kept secrets: Ayung Resort

The Ayung Resort Ubud is a luxurious blend of natural surroundings, an eclectic art collection and traditional Balinese hospitality located in the lush tropical rain forest along the banks of The Ayung River - Bali’s most sacred and important waterway. Their slogan "Hear the Silence - Feel the Peace" is very true. The five nights spent at this resort have been one of the best ever - and I have travelled a lot. This place is so new you could almost call it a secret. The hotel has several builings and private villas to choose from. I stayed at the Laksmana Bedrooms overlooking a stunning infinity pool and wild jungle.

Infinity pool overlooking wild jungle.


My days were leisurely spent reading a book by the pool, visiting Ubud village, dining at the hotel restaurant and enjoying the spa treatments. A perfect holiday for body and soul! The Dewi Sri Spa is small in size but has excellent facilities for different treatments both indoors and outdoors. I sampled two different treatments. The first treatment was a Thai massage by a young male therapist. The combination of oils and herbs was a bliss and I felt completely relaxed after the hour and a half. On my day of departure I decided to pamper my feet with a complete pedicure. The young female therapist was very thorow and did such a good job the nail polish lasted a month and my feet were as good as new!

 
My sincere thank you goes to Hotel GM Frits Henskes and the lovely Marketing Manager Elisabeth(Elle) Siboro and their beautiful staff for making my stay so special - I shall return!
 
 

(Text and all photos: Susanna Saari)